Skip to main content
The text-based instruction on our webpages has been updated to APA 7 guidelines as of May 4, 2020. For more information, please visit our APA 7 Transition page
Installing the Grammarly App
Grammarly has a new app (also called an add-in) for Microsoft Office that enables Walden students to add Grammarly’s checks directly to a Microsoft Word document. Instead of submitting your paper to Grammarly through Grammarly’s website, you can simply enable Grammarly once your document is ready to check. Here are some steps for how to download Grammarly’s new app and use it on your Word document drafts!
- Save and close anything you have open in Microsoft Word since you’ll need to restart it to add the app.
- You may also need to allow pop ups in your browser settings to complete this process.
- Go to Grammarly at https://www.grammarly.com/edu/signin.
- Log in with your Walden email (don’t forget the "u" in waldenu.edu) and password for your Grammarly account. Click "Log in."
- If you do not yet have a Grammarly account, you can create one with your Walden e-mail and set a new password. For more instructions on setting up an account, visit our Accessing Grammarly page.
- On the new screen that opens, choose "Apps" from the left-hand toolbar.
- On the Grammarly Apps screen, scroll down to Grammarly for Microsoft Office and choose "Install."
- Wait for the Add-In to download at the bottom of your browser window, then click to open it.
- A pop-up window might open asking if you want to run the file. Click "Run."
- Wait a moment, then a popup will open. Click "Get started."
- Make sure "Grammarly for Word" is checked. Click "Install."
- Wait while the installation completes—you can watch the progress on the loading bar.
- If Microsoft Word was already open, a popup will appear that asks you to restart Microsoft Office.
- If you had Microsoft Office programs open, save your work; then close all programs.
- In the Grammarly popup window, click "Finish."
- Open Microsoft Word. You should see a small green dot in the upper right of your Home tab that reads, "Enable Grammarly." For more about using Grammarly, check out the Using Grammarly’s Word App webpage.