Try This First
Are you having trouble accessing Library databases or services? Here are the most common solutions for resolving issues with Library access. Customer Care can also assist.
- Clear your web browser cache and cookies, and restart your browser.
- Access the databases in a different browser. Common alternate browsers include:
- Add the library's trusted sites to the web browser/security software. These sites are:
- Lower the security settings on your web browser, security software and firewall.
- Disable any pop-up blocker software or add the above trusted sites to your pop-up blocker's list of allowed sites. Some databases require pop-ups to work correctly.
- Disable any firewall or antivirus software before you log into the database. You may re-enable this software after you successfully log into the database.
Are you accessing the databases from work?
Most employers have stringent internet security restrictions which often block database access. Contact the system administrator or IT department at your workplace to request that they open port 8080 in the workplace firewall. Be aware that many employers will not allow this and you may need to access the databases in a different location.
Are you accessing the databases from a US military base or other US government institution overseas?
Please contact the library for further help.
Contacting the Library
The Walden Library is happy to help you troubleshoot any issues with the databases. Please note that we cannot help with general computer problems. Those questions are best directed to Customer Care.
When you contact the library for troubleshooting help, please include the following information in your request. This will help expedite the troubleshooting process.
- Copy and paste the exact error message from the database.
- The name of the database where the error occurs.
- Narrate the exact steps that you are taking to access your resources and where in the process the error message occurs. Include screenshots if you are able.
- Your browser name (i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox)
- Your operating system name (i.e. Windows XP, Mac OSX)
Please understand that it may take some time to properly diagnose and troubleshoot the issue, especially if we need to consult with the database vendors. The Walden Library is happy to suggest alternate databases and resources in the meantime.