Words beginning a sentence:
Major words in titles that are included in the body of the paper:
- In the book Modern Warfare, Clinger (1998) envisioned a world where ground troops are unnecessary.
This includes all words with four or more letters; all linking verbs; and the first word after a colon.
Major words in Level 1 and Level 2 headings:
- See our web page on headings, and APA 3.03, for more information.
- Few psychologists were more influential than Freud.
Do not, however, capitalize proper adjectives that have a common meaning as defined by Webster's Collegiate: Because her baby was already 14 lbs, her doctor insisted that she have a cesarean section.
- My dog loves Purina Puppy Chow.
Names of specific university departments or courses:
- I enrolled in Scholarly Writing 101
- Glassner was the associate dean of the Department of Psychology, Iowa State University.
Do not, however, capitalize generic references to courses or departments: I failed my psychology course.
Nouns followed by numerals:
- On Day 2, the rats became more aggressive.
- I read Chapter 6 to understand more about APA style
Exact titles of tests:
- The students needed to take the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills test.
This does not apply to generic titles: The students needed to take the vocabulary test.