Some notes on search strategies
Searching and finding materials in online libraries can be an intricate process. You may use different types of search strategies depending on what you need to find. Every search strategy can include several steps, from choosing search terms to refining results. This guide reviews several strategies and stages in the search process.
These are some of the steps and strategies you can use to be a successful researcher.
- Define your topic: How does your topic of interest translate into a search?
- Learn how to pick keywords based on your research topic.
- Subject terms & index searches can be used to expand your search results.
- Select a databases for your search from our Databases A-Z page.
- Understand basic keyword searching strategy.
- Build complex searches with the Boolean operators.
- Use limiters to refine your search results.
- Find the full text of resources you discover.
Watch a variety of recorded videos hosted by Walden librarians. Session topics include search strategies, research in your field of study, time saving tips and more. View recorded sessions any time you like!