The Walden University Library contains a large, diverse collection of books, journals, and other materials related to people with disabilities. Scroll down to view the collection, which has been broken down into subject areas and material types.
Note: The materials listed below are by no means an exhaustive representation of the materials found in the Walden University Library. Presented below is a curated list of resources designed to highlight aspects of our collection that relate directly to people with disabilities.
Don't forget to check out our search tips for accessing materials within our collection!
For access to statistical information and an interactive search tool, check out the Disability Statistics database:
Not sure where to start? The following peer-reviewed journals have a broad focus and cover a range of topics related to disability studies, including adaptive technology:
Multi-Database Search Tool
Our multi-database search tool is a great tool for performing a search across a large portion of our general collection. You can use Thoreau to explore and discover articles on a variety of people with disabilities related topics.
Health & medicine
- A developmental disabilities program: A proposed education program for direct support staff
- Association between adaptive sports programs and quality of life among amputee veterans
- Attitudes of Nigerian mothers toward children with autism spectrum disorder
- Facilitating person-centered care for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- Income, Education, age, and physical activity among physically disabled African American women
- The role that autism parent-led support groups play In facilitating advocacy
- CDC National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities (NCBDDD): Disability and Health: Focuses on people with disabilities and heatlh topics. Click on Data & Statistics for access to Disability and Health Data System (DHDS), along with other data sets and data.
- Healthy People: Disability and Health: Information on health,living conditions, health equity, and quality of life for people with disabilities. Click on Interventions & Resources for evidence-based information and recommendations related to Disability and Health
- National Library of Medicine’s MedlinePlus: Disabilities: News, statistics and research, clinical trials, and journal articles.
- National Library of Medicine’s MedlinePlus: Developmental Disabilities: News, statistics and research, clinical trials, and journal articles.
Counseling, psychology, & social work
- A Comparison of social disconnectedness and perceived isolation in deaf/hard of hearing women and hearing women
- Affecting teen attitudes through positive media portrayals of teens with autism spectrum disorder
- Discriminant profile of dimensions of acquired disability on domains of posttraumatic growth
- Exploring personal and societal expectations of blind veterans
- Parents perceptions of social inclusion of adults with intellectual disabilities
- Visually impaired individuals' perspectives on obtaining and maintaining employment
- Working alliance between interpretive and noninterpretive therapy services for deaf individuals
- Administration for Community Living (ACL): Mission is "older adults and people with disabilities of all ages should be able to live where they choose, with the people they choose, and with the ability to participate fully in their communities."
- Disability Statistics and Demographics Rehabilitation and Research Training Center(StatsRRTC): Funded by the Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Community Living, NIDILRR – Rehabilitation Research and Training Centers (RRTCs) Program. Mission is "is to narrow and actively bridge the divide between the producers and end users of disability statistics."
- National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitative Research (NIDILRR): Publications and Resources: Publications, products, and tools for improving health, independence, employment, and community living opportunities for people with disabilities.
- A phenomenological study of the roles of principals in special education
- Attitudes and effectiveness of teachers in diverse inclusive classrooms
- Effectiveness of testing accommodations for postsecondary students with learning disabilities
- General education teachers' perceptions about inclusion of students with emotional-behavioral disabilities
- Inclusion teachers' attitudes and practices regarding literacy strategies
- Learning disability status and gender as predictors of self-efficacy
- Parents' perceptions of transition and postsecondary services for their children with disabilities
- Relationships among middle school teachers' perceptions regarding inclusion of students with disabilities in general education classrooms
- Teachers' perceptions about addressing literacy for students with vision impairment
- U.S. Department of Education, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA): "The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is a law that makes available a free appropriate public education to eligible children with disabilities throughout the nation and ensures special education and related services to those children." Click on Law & Policy tab for statutes and policy docs; click Data under the Reports tab for annual reports to Congress and state data.
Leadership & business
- Leaders' strategies to support and accommodate employees with high-functioning autism
- Retention of direct care professionals supporting intellectually disabled individuals
- Service-disabled veteran small business owners' success strategies
- Strategies for entrepreneurs with disabilities to sustain a successful small business
- U.S. Department of Labor Office of Disability Employment Policy (OEDP): Click Topics for information on a wide range of topics related to disability, including Disability Employment Statistics.
- US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC): Disability Discrimination: Under About EEOC tab, click Statistics for EEOC Enforcement and Litigation Statistics, Employment Statistics, Equal Employment Opportunity Data Posted Pursuant to the No Fear Act, Special Reports, Census 2000 Special EEO File.
Policy & law
- An ethnographic study of traumatic brain injury survivors returning to work
- Beliefs influencing hiring agents' selection of qualified autistic candidates
- Paralleled support models for young adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- Understanding judiciary interpretation of a qualified disability post-ADA amendments
- ADA.gov: Information and technical assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act provided through U.S. Department of Justice.
- "A Guide to Disability Rights Laws": Created by the U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division.
- Interagency Committee on Disability Research (ICDR): "The ICDR’s mission is to promote coordination and cooperation among federal departments and agencies conducting disability, independent living, and rehabilitation research programs, including those that relate to assistive technology research, and research that incorporates the principles of universal design."
- ICDR, Federal Disability Research Resources: Includes Relevant Agencies, Other Interagency Activities, Federally-Funded Research, Disability Data, and Information Portals.
- National Council on Disability: Independent federal agency focused on disability policy.
- USAID: Advancing Disability-Inclusive Development: Disability-inclusive global development programming, and furtherance of human rights for people with disabilities. Links to Resources and Publications.
- U.S. Census: Disability: "The Census Bureau collects data on disability primarily through the American Community Survey (ACS) and the Survey of Income and Program Participation (SIPP)." Links for publications, working papers, tables, data.