The Final Project for this course will involve the construction of a literature review that can be used to inform counseling practice. For this assignment, you will have to do the following:
a) Select a theory, technique, or intervention strategy that can be applied in your counseling specialty that you would like to explore in the professional literature
b) Visit the Walden University Library to determine if there is sufficient professional literature available related to your topic of interest
c) Submit your topic to your Course Instructor for approval
1. At least five quantitative research articles
2. At least five qualitative research articles
3. At least one mixed methods research article
4. At least one program evaluation article for review
1. Select the methodology from the Methodology section under Limit Your results.
To search for mixed methods you will want to select both qualitative and quantitative while pressing the ctrl key on your keyboard.
2. Enter your search terms in the search boxes at the top of the screen. For assistance with keyword searching see Keyword Searching: Finding Articles on Your Topic.
3. Click the title of an article of interest. Scroll past the abstract to view the methodology or methodologies used.
Other databases do not contain a section that allows you choose the methodology.
The following steps outline how to search these databases using the Subject Terms.
1. Click the Subject Terms link. In some databases this may be called Thesaurus.
2. Enter the type of research you are interested in the box below Browsing:,select Relevancy Ranked and click Browse.
3. Click the box next to the methodology you want to search and then click Add.
The methodology will be added to the search at the top of the page.
4. Click Search.
5. Enter topic keywords in the second and third search boxes. Click Add Row if you need to add more keywords.
6. Click Search.
Mixed Methods Search
1. Follow steps 1-3 above.
2. Enter the next methodology in the box below Browsing. If you first browsed for and added qualitative now browse for quantitative.
3. Change the drop down option next to Add from Or to And.
4. Click Add.
Both terms will now be added to the search box at the top of the screen.
5. Click Search.
6. Enter topic keywords in the second and third search boxes. Click Add Row if you need to add more keywords.
In the abstract below you can see that there are QUALITATIVE methods used: interview and QUANTITATIVE methods used: Chi-square. Even if the the methodology is not listed in the database or in the article, you can look for keywords to help you determine what type of research methodology is being used.
You can limit your search to specific counseling journals with the following steps.
Many of these only appear in Academic Search Complete
1. Click Publications at the top of the screen
2. Enter the journal title in the box below Browsing: Academic Search Complete -- Publications
3. Click Browse
4. Locate the journal from the results list and click the box next to it to add a check
5. Click Add to add the journal to your search
6. Repeat steps 2-5 untill you have added all the journals that you would like to search.
The search box at the top of the screen should now contain all of the journals that you added.
7. Click Search
This will search for EVERY article in all of the journals that were added.
8. Enter your search terms in the second and third search boxes, leaving the first search box as it is.
*** If you accidentally start typing over the text in the first search box, Don't panic. Stop typing and press crtl then z on your keybord to undo any typing and get the journal titles back in the search box.
Here are some terms that you can look for in abstracts and articles or try as keywords in your search: