You have been tasked with researching enrollment management and marketing in higher education. While you will find some resources on the open internet, you can also search professional journals in the Library.
Below you will find information about the Library including where and how to search for research articles. A sample search is provided to give you an idea of what the search page will look like.
If you are having trouble finding what you need please don't hesitate to Ask A Librarian (link on the left).
The Education Research page is the place to find recommended databases for your searches. Below is a sample search in Education Source, the best place to start searching for articles on your education related topic. Follow these steps to run your search:
1. Click the Select a Subject drop-down from the Walden Library Home Page.
2. Choose Education from the subject options
3. Now choose the database Education Source from the list of education databases.
You may have to login with your myWalden email and password.
4. Now you are on a search screen with three Search boxes. Break your topic down into just keywords and type one concept or keyword(s) per box, separating synonyms with the word OR within each search box.
In the top search box type: "enrollment management"
Note: using the quotation marks forces the database to search for these words together as a phrase
In the middle search box type: higher education OR college OR university
Note: You can use the drop-down to the right of the search boxes to search in the abstracts; this adds focus
5. Under the search boxes, make sure the box for "Full Text" is checked.
Here's what the search page will look like:
6. Click the Search button.
This is just a sample search. Be sure to keep an eye out for synonyms; by adding in synonyms separated by the word OR you can capture different ways of expressing a concept. You can also try searching for your keywords in the abstracts using different combinations.
What happens when you search for marketing in the first search box instead of enrollment management?
Below are some of the top journals in Higher Education:
The journals listed in this assignment are all indexed in the Education Source database. You can search all of the listed journals at one time, while excluding results from other journals.
1. Click on the Publications link at the top of the page.
2. Type the journal names into the search box
3. Check the box next to each title to search.
You can include as many titles as you want to search
After you have selected the journal(s) to be searched you can enter your search terms. Select Advanced Search if you have multiple concepts to combine.
Click on any of the Tutorial links below for additional help on specific topics: