Starting from the top, or point, of the pyramid to the base, the pyramid is broken into 7 sections stacked on top of each other. The quality of information is highest at the top of the pyramid, and decreases as you move down to the base.
The top 3 sections are Filtered Information:
- Section 1: systematic reviews
- Section 2: critically-appraised topics [Evidence syntheses]
- Section 3: critically-appraised individual articles [Article synopsis]
The fourth through sixth sections are Unfiltered Information:
- Section 4: randomized controlled trials (RCTs)
- Section 5: cohort studies
- Section 6: case-controlled studies, case series/reports
The base of the pyramid consists of Background information and expert opinion.