Satisfactory Completion of Practicum
Field experience differs from the other courses you complete in your program in that there are requirements beyond satisfactory completion of coursework assignments—successful completion of the practicum course includes passing both coursework and fieldwork requirements. The final grades for the field experience courses are either Satisfactory (S) or Unsatisfactory (U). A deficiency in any item listed below will result in a U grade for the course. All requirements, including hourly requirements, evaluations, and time logs, must be complete by the end of Week 10; if hourly requirements are not met, then you will need to request an Incomplete (I) grade or a Practicum Extension (see Incomplete (I) Grades and Extensions).
To complete practicum satisfactorily, students must achieve ALL the following requirements:
- Successful completion of all coursework assignments with a cumulative score of 80% or above. All skills demonstrations/recording assignments must be completed satisfactorily.
- Attendance and active participation in all faculty group supervision videoconferences (minimum of 15 hours for each quarter of field experience) as well as individual or triadic site supervision each week of the quarter (minimum of 10 hours for each quarter of field experience).
- Completion of Mid-Quarter Evaluation and site visit by Walden-approved site supervisor in Weeks 4, 5, 6, or 7.
- Completion of all hourly requirements for the field experience as shown on the Time Log approved by site and faculty supervisors (only hours approved by both site and faculty supervisors will count toward field experience requirements).
- Satisfactory End-of-Quarter Evaluation of Student at a minimum of an intermediate level (rating of 3 or above) and endorsement for progression provided by the Walden-approved site supervisor.
- No concerns or reservations expressed by the faculty supervisor/course instructor regarding your ability to continue with professional practice curriculum; satisfactory evaluation at a minimum of an intermediate level (rating of 3 or above) and endorsement for progression provided by faculty supervisor.
- No concerns or reservations regarding your ability to continue with professional practice curriculum expressed by the field experience coordinators or director upon end of quarter audit.
- Adherence to all SOC-OFE policies outlined in the Field Experience Manual, as well as site and university policies, the ACA Code of Ethics, and all state regulations for counseling professionals.