Walden was the first higher education institution to offer a virtual residency experience for non-licensure PhD students. Walden's virtual residencies, labs and intensives offer you the same learning opportunities as our face-to-face events but without the travel requirements.
As a student attending a virtual event, you take advantage of innovative social networking technology that allows you to participate in learning activities through virtual conferences and dynamic online classrooms. You will also be placed in a small cohort of students, which will foster even more opportunities for you to connect with your classmates and faculty.
During virtual events, you are required to attend live sessions. Click here to view upcoming virtual event dates and watch the Virtual Overview video below.
Technical Requirements for Virtual Events
In addition to the current technical requirements for Walden’s online courses, virtual events require you to have the following:
- Laptop or desktop computer
- Students are required to attend all sessions using a laptop or desktop computer (or other device) that enables them to see the screen and have access to download/read curriculum documents. (It is okay to call in on the phone as long as you also have a laptop/desktop to see the screen.)
- The virtual academic experience is designed to be a collaborative learning environment. You do have to use audio functions in order to listen to synchronous sessions.
- The residency sessions are designed as student-centered, interactive experiences where students are expected to take an active role in learning, contribute to dialogue, and participate fully in large and small group activities.
- Speaker options include:
- the computer’s speakers which allows you to listen to computer audio
- dial in with your phone using Zoom’s call in option to listen
- an external speaker with USB or AUX attachment or;
- a headset with USB or AUX attachment
- Students are required to have and use microphones to participate in large and small group discussions. (Mics are NOT optional).
- Microphone options include:
- the computer’s microphone which allows you to speak into computer microphone
- dial in with your phone using Zoom’s call in option to speak
- an external microphone with USB or AUX attachment or;
- a headset with microphone with USB or AUX attachment
- The synchronous sessions will have a chat feature that can be used in place of microphone when session leaders are presenting.
- Students are required to have and use webcams to participate in group discussions. (Webcams are NOT optional).
- Minimum resolution at 640 x 480 standard definition.
Access to the internet using high speed access (Cable, DSL, Network) is required for all virtual sessions.
The suggested speed is 1 Mbps or better (broadband recommended).
To learn about your internet speed, use Speedtest.net as a broadband speed analysis tool that allows anyone to test their Internet connection. The speed test will test all available bandwidth on your network, but it does not take into account other users on the network that may be using bandwidth at the same time.
Zoom web conferencing software
You must have the ability to run Zoom software. Go to this website to check your system requirements.
Attendance and Schedule
Attendance is required in ALL sessions in order to successfully complete your residency, lab or intensive.
Virtual academic residencies and academic events have varying start and end days and times, as well as session schedules, based on your program and level.
We are aware of the sacrifices and accommodations that students and Walden faculty and staff make to incorporate these events into their work and personal calendars. While the event schedule may be slightly inconvenient for the short term, you'll soon experience the long-term benefits throughout your academic and professional growth and development.
- Refer to your registration confirmation email and event website for the event start and end times for your program and level.
- The final schedule will also be available in the Canvas classroom one week prior to the start of the event.
View the Calendar for event options by program if you need to select a different event.
To register for a virtual event, log in to myWalden and follow the process for residency registration. For more information, call 1-800-WALDENU (1-800-925-3368).