Skip to Main Content

Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS): Overview

Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) Travel Requirements

The rules and regulations of the U.S. Department of State require all non-U.S. citizen students attending required Walden residencies/skills labs/pre-practicum/BAYR events in the United States to obtain a Form 1-20 from Walden University for entry into the United States.

Students who are citizens of Visa Exempt countries, Canada and Bermuda, do not have to apply for a separate visa; however, these students must obtain an I-20 and pay the SEVIS fee. Students from all other countries, including visa waiver countries, must also obtain an F-1 student visa for entry into the United States to attend Walden residencies/skills labs/pre-practicum/BAYR events.

Important: B-visa and ESTA visa waivers do not permit academic study. Students who enter the U.S. on the B-visa/ESTA visitor and business class will not be allowed to attend the residency. There are no exceptions to this policy.


Exception: Walden University is authorized to issue Form I-20 documents for students entering the United States for a required academic residency. To enter the U.S. for any other reason, including to attend an optional Walden capstone intensive retreat or commencement, a different visa type must be used.


To enter the United States on student status for your required academic residency(ies) as you pass through U.S. Immigration and Customs, please be sure to have your:

  • Current passport
  • F-1 visa (not required for citizens of Canada or Bermuda)
  • Printed Form I-20                                   
  • Receipt from your SEVIS fee payment