The current CACREP standards require that field experiences (both practicum and internship) abide by the following:
- Students are covered by individual professional counseling liability insurance policies while enrolled in practicum and internship (see Professional Liability Insurance).
- Plan to participate on-site and in the field experience course each week throughout the entire length of the field experience course, regardless of when hourly requirements are complete.
- Supervision of practicum and internship students includes program-appropriate recordings and/or live supervision of students’ interactions with clients (see Recording and Alternative Assignment Policy).
- Formative and summative evaluations of the student’s counseling performance and ability to integrate and apply knowledge are conducted as part of the student’s practicum and internship.
- Students have the opportunity to become familiar with a variety of professional activities and resources, including technological resources, during their practicum and internship.
- In addition to the development of individual counseling skills, students must lead a counseling or psychoeducational group during the internship (the counseling masters’ programs require at least 10 hours of group counseling during internship).