Skip to Main Content

Alternative Credit Options: How to Sign Up

How to Sign Up

Only the equivalent courses listed on the Office of Degree Acceleration website should be used when determining which alternative credit courses to take. The courses listed on the alternative credit course providers' website may not always be up to date.

Please take the following steps with your Student Success Advisor prior to signing up for an alternative credit course. If you are a Tempo student, please contact your Academic Coach.
  1. Determine your needed Walden course.
    • ​​For example, do you need PSYC 1001? An arts/humanities general education course?​
  2. Find the corresponding alternative credit course.
    • ​Check the alternative credit course provider chart on the Office of Degree Acceleration website to see which provider course equates to your needed Walden course.
    • For example, “PSY 1010” at Straighterline will equate to Walden’s PSYC 1001 course. Sophia’s “Approaches to Studying Religions” course equates to a Walden arts/humanities general education requirement.
  3. Contact your Student Success Advisor or Academic Coach.
    • ​If you are an enrolled student, send an email to noting the course(s) you would like to sign up for (or to your Academic Coach if you are a Tempo student). Your advisor or coach will confirm the exact course name at Straighterline or Sophia and the Equivalent Walden Course Name. 
    • If you are not yet enrolled and want to work on a course prior to official enrollment, please connect with your Enrollment Specialist regarding what is suggested to take. 
    • Please note: the maximum allowable transfer of credit into an undergraduate program is 135 quarter credits.  Although this may vary depending on your state of residence.
  4. Sign up for the alternative credit course.​
    • Once you discuss the specific course(s) with your advisor or coach, you will go to the alternative credit course provider website directly to sign up and pay any cost associated with the course.
  5. ​Complete the alternative credit course.
    • Work hard! 
  6. Submit transcript to Walden.
    • ​​Submit a request with the alternative credit course provider for an official transcript to be sent to
    • Also notify your Student Success Advisor, as the request will need to be manually processed by them. If you are a Tempo student, notify your Academic Coach.