Skip to Main Content

Student Information Release Form (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a Federal law designed to protect the privacy of a student's education records, including academic, financial and financial aid records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under a program of the U.S. Department of Education.

If you need someone to have access to your student information in order to assist with addressing your concern please complete the FERPA document.

Access the Student Information Release Form (FERPA).

Student Resolution Process and FAQs

If you have a concern related to university policy, a conflict with faculty or staff, or need assistance communicating with someone in the university system, The Office of Student Affairs can direct you to the right path for resolution and can review decisions and options once attempts at a resolution within the applicable department or university processes have not been successful. We support students, faculty, and staff in addressing concerns and providing guidance on reasonable and fair resolutions. The Office of Student Affairs also oversees the university’s Code of Conduct and Title IX policy and processes and can provide guidance on these concerns as well.

Petition for Policy Exception

Prior to contacting Student Affairs, please follow these steps:

  1. Review the Student Handbook or other documented communication to determine the language of the applicable policy.
  2. Discuss with Student Success Advising or the applicable department whether a policy can be petitioned.
  3. Refer to the Process for Petitions, Appeals, Grievances, and Complaints in the Student Handbook for the appropriate petition and appeal process.
  4. If unresolved or unsatisfied with steps #1-3, provide Student Affairs with the applicable policy, decision(s), and an explanation of why you believe the policy is not fair or the decision was improperly made.

Faculty Conflicts

Sometimes students and faculty do not see eye to eye. If you are having a conflict with your instructor:

  1. Assume no-ill intent and attempt to gain clarity on your concerns.
  2. Speak with the person on the phone or schedule a meeting if email has not been productive.
  3. Request to speak with a supervisor/manager/program director or coordinator if concerns remain.
  4. Request to speak with a department director/academic Dean if concerns remain. If you are unsure how best to reach your Dean please contact Student Success Advising. 
  5. If unresolved or unsatisfied with steps #1-4, Student Affairs can review decisions for fairness or recommend a mediation between the parties.

Individual Department Responsiveness

If you are unable to reach a faculty or staff member take the following steps:

  1. Determine if there is an expected time for a response that has been exceeded (i.e., did a department say to allow for 5-10 business days, and it has been more than 10 days?).
  2. Determine if your expectation is reasonable (i.e., immediate responses may not be available).
  3. Follow up respectfully to get an update (i.e., sending multiple emails in a short time frame is not productive).
  4. Contact Student Affairs if a response time has been exceeded and follow-ups have not been successful or if the matter is urgent and a non-response may result in material harm to your progress or cause you to miss a deadline.

Doctoral Degree Progress and Program Concerns

Account Balances and Financial Aid

Code of Conduct

Title IX

Walden University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its education programs and activities. Title IX specifically prohibits discrimination based upon gender.