Career Exploration Resources
Are you transitioning into the human services field or looking to advance as a Human Services Professional Practitioner? Check out these resources and tools to prepare for your next career move.
- Take the short How Can We Help You? career quiz. You will receive a list of career resources based on your career goals.
- Review the Career Exploration page. Here you will find…
- Self-Knowledge tools to identify your interests, skills, and strengths.
- What Can I Do with This Major? guides for human services and related fields.
- Specialized resources for government, nonprofit, and international career opportunities.
- Research career paths in human services and related fields on O*Net or MyPlan
- Watch the webinar, Proactive Strategies to Advance Your Career in Human Services.
- Visit the WaldenU.edu website to learn about career options recommended for your degree program.
- Create a Career Plan to organize your career exploration activities.
Resumes, Cover Letters, and More
Create a cover letter and resume to capture your work and volunteer experience, education, and qualifications.
- Visit the Resumes & More tab to gain resume and cover letter writing tips, review outlines, and watch career skills videos.
- Build a resume or cover letter using SkillsFirst
Tip: Refer to the SkillsFirst Resume and Letter Guide to start building your documents.
Build an e-portfolio to showcase your academic and professional achievements using the SkillsFirst platform.
Job Search and Experiential Learning
- Search for job opportunities and conduct career research using the Walden Job and Internship Search Locator.
- Use GoinGlobal to locate U.S. based and global jobs and internships.
- Review interest-specific job boards for Social and Behavioral Sciences fields (includes Human Services).
- Learn more about face-to-face and virtual volunteer opportunities and internships.
- Gain tips to boost your online presence by watching Launching with LinkedIn
- Join a Professional Association in your field. Here are three associations to consider:
American Public Human Services Association
Human Services Administration Organization
National Organization for Human Services
- Engage in the Walden community through student organizations.
Prepare for Doctoral Level Careers
- Doctoral Resources page: one-stop page for doctoral-level career exploration and preparation.
- Doctoral Career Pathways Conference recordings and guides: There are four sessions for you to explore.
- Six common doctoral career paths
- How to gain experience
- Ways to market academic and professional skills
- Tools for career planning
- Curriculum Vitae Guide: a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to create or strengthen your academic CV.
Career Checklists for Human Services Programs
Are you pursuing your Walden degree to transition into the human services field or advance as a Human Services Professional Practitioner? View these printable checklists with strategies to help you apply your degree and prepare for your future career.