Career Exploration Resources
Are you transitioning into a business or management career or a leadership role? Looking for ways to advance in your current field? Check out these resources and tools to prepare for your next career move.
- Take the short How Can We Help You? career quiz. You will receive a list of career resources based on your career goals.
- Review the Career Exploration tab. Here you will find…
- Self-Knowledge tools to identify your interests, skills, and strengths.
- What Can I Do with This Major? guides for business, management, accounting, finance, human resources, and related fields.
- Specialized resources for corporate, government, nonprofit, and international career opportunities.
- Research career paths in business and management on O*Net or MyPlan.
- Visit the WaldenU.edu website to learn about career options recommended for your degree program.
- Create a Career Plan to organize your career exploration activities.
Resumes and Cover Letters
Create a cover letter and resume to capture your work experience, education, and qualifications.
- Visit the Resumes & More tab to gain resume and cover letter writing tips, review outlines, and watch career skills videos.
- Build a resume or cover letter using SkillsFirst.
Tip: SkillsFirst includes custom samples for MBA and MS in Leadership students! Refer to the SkillsFirst Resume and Letter Guide for instructions on how to build resumes and cover letters; or review the select samples below:
For additional resume and letter samples, visit the Custom Samples page.
Have you explored SkillsFirst?
SkillsFirst is a self-guided career management system with 500+ templates and tools to help you create high-impact materials including resumes, cover letters, and career portfolios. The system also offers interview prep and pitch builder tools to practice interviewing and communicating your brand.
Marketing Your Qualifications Through Resumes and Cover Letters
MBA Portfolio: Documenting Your Success
As you progress through your MBA program, create an online portfolio and update your academic and professional achievements throughout the course of your Walden journey.
Build your e-portfolio using the SkillsFirst Portfolios module.
Tip: Follow the steps in the MBA Portfolio Guide to create, share, and update your MBA portfolio sections and document your success.
MS in Leadership Portfolio
As you progress through your MS in Leadership program, create an online portfolio and update your academic and professional achievements throughout the course of your Walden journey.
Build your e-portfolio using SkillsFirst Portfolios module.
Tip: Follow the steps in the MS in Leadership Portfolio Guide to create, share, and update your MS in Leadership portfolio sections and document your success.
Job Search and Experiential Learning
- Search for job opportunities and review job postings using the Walden Job and Internship Search Locator. Tip: Some employers post jobs exclusively for Walden students, which may appear at the top of job search results.
- Use GoinGlobal to locate U.S. based and global jobs and internships, review the global employer directory, and access city and country guides for living and working abroad.
- Review interest-specific job boards for Management and Technology fields and other areas of interest to expand your job search.
- For specific-interest sites, such as virtual and freelance jobs, corporate positions, nonprofit jobs, government employment, or international opportunities, review the Special Interest Resources section of the Career Exploration tab.
- Read the article, Cultivate Your Leadership Skills, to learn how to develop as a leader.
Volunteering for Social Change
Consider volunteering at a nonprofit organization, helping a small business owner or consultant with a current challenge, or working on a virtual project from home. Skills-based volunteering can help you enhance your current skill set, add new skills and experience to your resume, and learn more about what you like to do; all while supporting Walden’s mission of social change.
The following resources can help you get started:
- Learn more about face-to-face and virtual volunteer opportunities and internships.
- Participate in the Walden Change Action Network.
Professional Development and Networking
- Gain tips to boost your online presence by watching Launching with LinkedIn.
- Join a Professional Association in your field to network and actively engage in your professional development.
Tip: For lists of Professional Associations by interest area, visit the Networking tab and navigate to the Associations and Professional Development box (bottom right-hand side).
- Engage in the Walden community through student organizations while building professional connections and leadership skills.
- Watch an "on demand" recording of the program: Develop Your Professional Brand for Career Success.
- Register on the Upkey: Career Creation Platform to access free career and self-branding courses and locate job and internship opportunities.
- Get ready for interviews by visiting the Interviews tab.
- Log into SkillsFirst and use the Interview Prep tool to practice mock interviewing skills.
Tip: This tool includes over 12,000 interview questions to build your confidence. Search for interview questions using keywords related to your interest area (e.g., management, marketing, consulting, human resources, finance, etc.) or role (e.g., analyst, director, manager, etc.).
Career Checklist for Business and Management Careers
Looking for more help with transitioning into a new business or management field or advancing in your current career? View these printable checklists for MBA and MS in Leadership students with strategies to help you apply your degree and prepare for the future.