Walden University students interested in applying for a Fulbright scholarship may request a letter of recommendation from faculty. The Fulbright Scholar Program is a selective educational exchange program in more than 155 countries around the world. More information about the Fulbright Scholar Program is available on the following page: https://www.cies.org/
Here are tips to keep in mind when asked to write a letter of recommendation for a Fulbright scholarship application:
- If you agree to write the letter, request the following information, if not provided:
- The course title(s), section number, year, and term the student or alumnus/alumna was enrolled in your course(s)
- The deadline for submitting the letter
- The letter should address:
- Your relationship to the student (faculty, faculty mentor, dissertation committee chair, etc.)
- Academic experience (e.g. the letter could cover classroom participation, writing skills, thoughtful discussion posts, research skills, collaborative work, creativity, and overall quality of work)
- Interpersonal and relational skills and competencies
- International experience and development work
- Faculty can decline a request to write a letter of recommendation. If you cannot write a positive letter, or you are unable to meet the deadline for the student’s request, decline the request. Let the student know as soon as possible if you are not able to write the letter.
- Per FERPA rules and regulations, do not include a course grade or assignment grade.
- Send the content of your letter to your Program Director with a request for the letter to be approved and placed on Walden letterhead in PDF format. If your Program Director approves the letter, he/she will forward the content of your letter to Walden’s Academic Operations Support staff for the letter to be placed on Walden letterhead.
- Fulbright requires referees to submit letters of recommendation through their online application system, Embark. You will receive an email from Embark asking you to register on the system and complete the recommendation. Note: the email will be from “Fulbright Scholar Program (firstname.lastname@example.org).” For more information about Fulbright awards and application instructions, visit the following page: https://www.cies.org/application-guidelines