Submitting your Internship Application
Applications for internship must be submitted in Meditrek within the Application Submission Windows listed below.
Applying for field experience can be a lengthy process. Start early. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be accepted.
Internship Application Submission Windows
Spring Quarter: February 27, 2023
Application Window Closes: January 15, 2023
Summer Quarter: May 29, 2023
Application Window Closes: April 15, 2023
Fall Quarter: August 28, 2023
Application Window Closes: July 15, 2023
Winter Quarter: November 27. 2023
Application Window Closes: October 15, 2023
The application window opens the day after the window closes for the previous quarter.
Internship applications can be accepted only within these windows.
Student Application Requirements
The internship application consists of several checklist items, all of which are required for application submission.
- Field Experience Manual - detailed information about application requirements
- Meditrek Student Guide - application submission instructions.
Documents to Upload in Meditrek
Some of the Meditrek® checklist items are documents that will need to be completed outside of Meditrek® and uploaded into your Meditrek® field experience application.
Individual Internship Plan
Guides you through outlining the experiences you will participate in during your doctoral internship.
Doctoral Internship Supplements
The Doctoral Internship Supplements required depend on your Individual Internship Plan. They include:
- Internship Learning Agreement (non-Walden sites only): Provides SOC-OFE with information about non-Walden field site(s) that you work with for you internship. One is required for each non-Walden field site at which you plan to obtain hours. Learning Agreements are not required for Walden In-House Experiences.
- Clinical Supervision Contract: Required for experiences in the Counseling domain.
- Clinical Supervisor's Resume/CV: Required for experiences in the Counseling domain.
Your Doctoral Internship Supplements need to be put together in one zip file for submission to Meditrek.
Professional Liability Insurance
You are required to obtain professional liability insurance prior to beginning a field experience and to maintain active professional liability insurance throughout the duration of the field experiences.
Forms to Complete in Meditrek
Similar to your practicum application, the internship application checklist includes online forms that you will complete right in your Meditrek® application. Most of these items will carry over from your practicum application, so if you completed them during the practicum application process, they will be automatically completed with the internship application.
SOC-OFE Application Review
The SOC-OFE application review process includes multiple layers of review (academic and operations). Applications can be returned to you throughout the review process to allow for revision, with the intent of approving all viable applications. You must monitor your Walden email account closely during the application review period (from the time you submit your application for field experience through the start of enrollment) to ensure that you are able to respond to requests for additional information during the time frames provided.
School of Counseling faculty on the field experience committee complete the academic review of field experience applications, including:
- Quality of internship plan to ensure it meets program and accreditation requirements,
- Academic quality of field experience, and
- Clinical supervisor credentials and qualifications, if applicable.
Field experience operations coordinators complete the operations review of field experience applications, including:
- Field experience documentation (e.g. professional liability insurance certificate),
- Affiliation agreements for non-Walden site,
- Confirmation of acceptance for Walden In-House Experiences,
- Onboarding requirements,
- Eligibility Audits, and
- Course registration.