Skip to main content
10 Networking Tips
- Develop your brand. Think about what makes you stand out in your current or desired career field. Learn how to create an elevator pitch to communicate your brand.
- Clean up your online image. Conduct a simple internet search of your name to see what is currently out there. Remember, if people can find it, it is a part of your brand.
- Build relationships offline. Professional associations, volunteering, and connecting with your community will quickly expand your network.
- Build relationships online. Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and blogs are great social media tools to showcase expertise and expand your network.
- Tailor your LinkedIn profile. Learn how to create a LinkedIn account. Complete your profile to 100% and tailor your headline and summary.
- Target your efforts. Take time to set networking goals and reflect upon your progress.
- Share your passion. When you meet someone new, it is your opportunity to share your passion toward your field.
- Show gratitude. Send a thank-you note when a professional goes out of his or her way to meet with you.
- Follow up. Set a date when you will follow up with people in your network to maintain your relationships.
- Give back to your network. Once you have established your network, pay it forward and be a mentor for others!