Skip to main content
What general tips should I consider?
- Keep your formatting the same as your resume (i.e. font style, sizes).
- When applying for a position, follow all directions provided by the employer.
- If they provide an e-mail address, assume that you are to send your materials via e-mail.
- Use industry terminology and buzz words whenever possible.
- Address the letter to a specific person, using Ms. or Mr. If you are unable to find a name, use the salutation “Dear Search Committee," or “Dear (department name) Department."
- Use standard business letter format to start off your letter. Another option is to use the header you utilized in your resume.
- Keep track of the positions you apply for and organize application materials in a folder on your computer or hard copy. This will make for easy reference if called for an interview.
- Be sincere and avoid generic phrases.