What are the Academic Requirements for Walden Student SHRM (WU-SHRM)?
- You must currently be enrolled in a degree program (not a certificate program). You must provide proof of enrollment in a college or university to qualify for student membership.
- Your coursework must support an interest in human resource management. This may include degree programs in human resource management or human resources, industrial and organizational psychology, management, and business administration.
- Note: If you are currently in a full-time exempt HR position, and/or you are already a member of SHRM as an associate or professional member, you are not eligible to join as a student. We would, however, welcome your participation in our new student chapter as a professional. If you are already a member, please proceed to the section “Once you become a member.”
When are membership drives conducted each year?
You can join anytime during the year.
Is there a fee?
There is a $49 (non-refundable) to the national chapter of SHRM. Walden charges no additional dues.
Tell me more about this organization
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is one of the largest professional associations for individuals in the field. Walden University has an online student chapter of SHRM that you can join. Joining SHRM is not a requirement of the university; however, you may wish to take advantage of this resource available at the current student rate of $40 annually.
When you join SHRM as a student member, you have the opportunity to be a part of the Walden student chapter for no additional fee. If you would like to join SHRM and designate Walden’s student chapter, please follow the steps below. Walden University’s chapter number is 5637.
Benefits to membership in SHRM include access to white papers, discussion forums, free HR advice, and discounts on HR books, conferences, and study materials for HR certification. SHRM also offers student scholarships. Our chapter has student leaders who develop programs, events, and other opportunities for chapter members. Being a part of the student chapter allows you to build relationships with others who have an interest in HR or are actively involved in the profession.
How do I join?
The instructions for joining SHRM as a student member are as follows:
If you have already joined SHRM and listed Walden as your university:
- You do not need to do anything.
- If you did not send your membership number to me, please do so.
- SHRM will automatically assign you to the Walden chapter.
If you want to join SHRM as a student member now and take advantage of all the member benefits:
• Click “Join SHRM as a Student Member” under the “Membership Center” header.
• Click the link for the student online application.
• In the “Required Student Membership Information" section, make sure to select your:
- Major or Concentration: “HR Management” (example)
- State: "Minnesota" or “online/virtual”
- College: “Walden University”
- Walden is on the “compressed term” schedule.
Once you become a member: Send the name you used to join and your membership number. Specify whether you are a student or professional member to: Whatever the email is for the student advisor
Can I volunteer with the chapter?
What if I have more questions?
What is the Walden Student Chapter Number?
Walden Student Chapter Number: 5637