Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Analytics - Course Navigation
There are many ways to view course analytics, to help you identify trends and areas for attention in the classroom. In this module, we will review the Analytics of Canvas.
To view Course Analytics, navigate to the Course Home Page and select View Course Analytics.
A new screen will open, displaying various course data and charts. Let's review some of the key data available.
- Changing the View: This changes the view to a table format.
- Activity by Date: This chart displays the number of Page Views and Participation by Date.
- Submissions: This chart displays the Missing, Late, and On Time submissions for each assignment.
- Grades: This chart displays grade distribution broken down by the Total Range, Median, and the 25th-75th Percentile for each assignment.
- Student List: This chart displays the Page Views, Participation, Submissions, Timing of Submissions, and Current Score for each student enrolled in the course. Click a student's name to display a visual representation of the data for that one student.
Analytics within the Grades area
In the Grades area of the course there are also analytics. Navigate to Grades in the Course Navigation Menu, click a student's name to bring up more information. A pop up on the right will appear.
- Analytics: Clicking this will take you to more Analytics for that student.
- Last Login: Shows the Last Login
- Grades: Clicking this will take you to a separate page that has this student's grades. This visually looks a lot like what the student sees on their own Grades area.
- Grade, Missing, Late: This area shows their current grade, how many missing assignments they have, and how many late submissions they have.
- Last 2 Graded Items: This shows their last two graded items.
- Activity Compared to Class: This shows their activity compared to the class.
Click the Grades button then you will see the student view of the Grades area for that student.
Clicking the Analytics button from the Grades pop up will bring you to a page that displays analytics for that specific student. This is the same view you'd see from the Course Analytics page when a specific student is clicked.
- Student Selection: This menu allows you to move to other students in the course.
- Choose View: This allows for the changing of the view of this data.
Instructors also have access to quiz analytics. To navigate to these analytics, click Quizzes in the Course Navigation Menu, click the name of a specific quiz, and then click Quiz Statistics.
- Quizzes: Click this to see all of the quizzes within a specific course.
- Options: After clicking the name of a quiz these options are available.
- Quiz Statistics: Click this to launch the screens below that show statistics for the whole quiz and specific questions.
- See Full Quiz: Click this to show the full quiz as a student would see it.
- SpeedGrader: Click this to launch the SpeedGrader, generally used to grade the quiz if it has short answer questions in it.