Skip to main content

About: When To Contact Us

Who do you need to contact?

Depending on your question, you may need to work with a specific area of the Customer Care Team. For more information about each of these areas and the type of requests they can assist with, please see below.

The Office of the Bursar assists with questions on tuition and billing, and handles student loan disbursement and refunds.


The Office of the Bursar Contact Information:

The Billing Office can assist with:

  • Questions about bill amounts
  • Requests for a copy of your student bill or a receipt from a payment
  • Cost Estimate Letters


Contact information for the Billing Office:

The Financial Accounts Management Team assists students with questions related to payment plans and the processing of payments. The Financial Accounts Management Team can also assist with collections inquiries.


Financial Accounts Management Contact Information

The Office of Financial Aid processes applications for federal student aid and handles all questions relating to federal financial aid, including:

  • book advances,
  • FAFSA, and
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress.


Financial Aid Contact Information:

Technical support can be used to assist with questions related to:

  • navigating the myWalden portal,
  • installing SPSS,
  • understanding the registration process, and
  • using your Blackboard classroom.


You can reach Technical Support using any of the following options: