For the Week 3 discussion post in NURS 6052, you are asked to find a research article in the Walden Library that uses a nursing theory or model of your choice. This guide will walk you through how you can do this. Specifically, after reviewing this guide you will be able to:
If you'd like to learn more about nursing theories and models, please see the More Information section near the bottom of this page.
Here is how you can access the nursing resources in the Walden Library. Specifically, the CINAHL Plus with Full Text database:
1. On the Library homepage, go to the Subject Resources box.
2. Click on Select a subject and choose: Nursing.
3. Scroll down until you see a section called Nursing articles, journals & books.
4. Click on Nursing databases and then click on the link for CINAHL Plus with Full Text to access the database.
Note: If you have not already logged in to the Library databases, you will be prompted to log in with your myWalden Portal user name and password.
To find an article on a particular nursing theory or model, the first thing you need to do is pick good search terms. Here are some suggestions for choosing search terms:
Neuman and Systems Model
Rogers and Unitary Human Beings
To learn more about picking search terms, please see our guide:
If you wanted to find articles on Dorothea Orem's work on self care, what search terms would you pick?
What about for Hildegard Peplau's work on interpersonal relations?
Here is an example of a search that you can do in the CINAHL Plus with Full Text database to find research articles on Neuman's Systems Model:
1. Go to the CINAHL Plus with Full Text database.
Note: For instructions on how to do this, please see the access nursing resources instructions.
2. In the first search box enter:
In the second search box enter:
Here is what your search boxes should look like:
3. To limit your results to only research articles, scroll down the page below the search boxes and click in the box under Research Article.
4. Click on the Search button to run your search.
5. This will give you a list of research articles that mention Neuman's Systems Model. Browse through the results to find an article that looks interesting to you.
Books on Nursing Theories:
Websites on Nursing Theories:
General information on finding theorists and theories:
For Dorothea Orem's work on self care, some possible search terms would be:
For Hildegard Peplau's work on interpersonal relations, some possible search terms would be: