Skip to main content

Library Transcripts

Transcript - Introduction to Counseling Library Research - Dec 12 2018

Video Link: https://youtu.be/rXDIytWh494

 

 

Begin Transcript

 

Narration:

 

>> ANDREA LEMIEUX: 

. But if you just know that those two top boxes are what you need to focus on first, then everything else is going to come with time.

 

So on the left side is our subject resources box, and that's where you're going to get to all things counseling related. On the right side is Course Guides, and that is where you are going to find all of your course readings that are available in full text in the library.

 

Let's go ahead and get started, we are going to go right into Course Guides and actually see what's there. So I'm going to jump over to the library website. And we are going to look at Course Guides. So let's click in there.

 

Now when you go there, there's not a lot. Mostly, there's just a long menu here on the left-hand side. And what that is for is, you're going to find your Course Guide by your course code and your course code for your class is going to be four letters and four numbers. So we are going to navigate to your courses on the left side. A lot of your classes are going to start with C for counseling. COUN is usually the first four letters of most of your courses. If we click C - D, we are going to see [indiscernible] courses that are available. And if we click on counseling, we are going to see a list of all the counseling courses.

 

Now, let's assume we are in counseling 8116. We are going to look for 8116 and click on that. These are all of the course readings that are available in the library. They are alphabetical the author's last name and when you click on them you might get the full text. You might be thinking, “How do I know when I need to come over to the library and look at the Course Guide?”

 

Let's jump over to the Blackboard and take a look at Week 5 of 8116. So the Blackboard classes look a little different, it depends on which version of a class that you're in. But if we were to scroll over on the left-hand side to Week 5, that's where all of our required course readings are going to be. Let's take a look at the first three listed here. The first one is pretty easy. It says it's the text course. That means it's the textbook. Textbooks really only available in the Walden bookstore. You can often buy them from another vendor such as Amazon or another vendor you can buy textbooks from. So the library doesn't have textbooks, so you're not going to find that in the library Course Guide. It will be listed in your syllabus and about the information you need to purchase the textbook.

 

If we jump down to the third article here you will see it has the citation, the author, the date in the title, but it has a link embedded right in the classroom. That means, it's pretty obvious, you just go click on the link, you're going to be able to get to the article from there. A lot of those are maybe government reports or sources that are free online.

 

The second article listed here has the complete citation, but it doesn't have a link to the reading. Underneath it, it has a note that says Retrieved from the Walden Library Databases. That is, you're going to see a version of that note, that is a good indicator that you need to go over to the Course Guide look for the reading there. So the author's last name is Rice. We go back to our course readings and we will see Rice is listed here alphabetically at the bottom.

 

So let's click on here and talk about what we are going to find. As I said, you're often going to be prompted to login. So I'm going to login with my staff credentials which would be what your student credentials would be. You will see that it opens up to an article in a database. So the article we're looking at, this is just information at the top about the article, the office, where it was published, and other kinds of information. It usually has the abstract listed.

 

Typically, you're not going to access the full text this way. You're going to have to look for a link that says PDF, HTML, or something like that. But because this one is available in HTML, if you scroll down, you are going to see that the article is embedded right here. If it only has a PDF link, just make sure you look for the PDF link. Not all articles are going to look the same. So just look for a link of something that indicates that you're going to get the full text.

 

So, I went to point out one other thing in the Course Guide. Now, another thing you will notice over here is on the left-hand side, another list of menu options. And if you see, it says week one, Week 3, Week 4. Often it will say week one assignment or Week 3 discussion. What that is indicating is that these week assignments in your course has something related to the library. It means you have to go find a research article, you need to research a particular topic, or something to that effect. So whenever you are in your Blackboard classroom there is an assignment that says, find a research article in the library, go to the library to do this, cite three academic or scholarly resources to support your argument, the first thing you should always do is go to your Course Guide, look at the left side and see if there is an option for your course or your assignment. Because if I click on Week 5, for instance, I will see step-by-step directions on how to complete this assignment. There's usually other instructional information, like this one has a short video of four minutes of what actually a research article is, and it talks about that. You will see that the assignment requires you to find two or three forensic research articles where effect size was reported. Well, if you don't know where to go in the library or how to structure a search to get that information, we typically have created an assignment guide for that. So just know that the assignment guide is going to have not only your readings, but often, assignment help, as well.

 

So before we move on, is there any questions? Anne, did we have any questions come in about Course Guides, assignment help, how to access it for your courses?

 

>>  ANNE ROJAS:  Nope, we're good so far.

 

>> ANDREA LEMIEUX:  Great. That doesn't mean if you have a question of something later on something we covered earlier on, just go ahead and ask and those questions.

 

The last thing you want to show you how to navigate to is the counseling homepage. Now, it's a little disorienting for students who haven't  taken a completely online program before. Because typically, you will go into your university library, you would find the section on counseling, and there will be other counseling journals, all the counseling books, possibly videos. Because typically what you're going to find in the library is going to be organized by subject.

 

Well, we really want to replicate that same experience in our online library. So, just think of going into an online library and in the back, left corner is all the information you need about counseling. And this is where you're going to find it. So let's look again at the website. And I will show you where to find it.

 

So again, we're at the homepage, and this subject resource is that physical library divided into subjects. If you click on this drop-down menu, we are going to see all the programs that we offer here at Walden listed. Since you’re in a counseling program, you're going to go ahead and click on the Counseling tab.

 

Now, for most of your assignments and discussions you're going to be coming here. But it's good to know that all of these research guides are set up the same. The issue with counseling and psychology is they have a lot of cross disciplinary study in them. So, if you are looking more at the clinical side or if you're looking at more health-related or maybe criminal justice issues, then you can go to those research homepages and access information that’s related to either criminal justice or health sciences. But typically, this is kind of your first stop.

 

Now again, there's lots of different boxes that are labeled and lots more underneath all those boxes. So, think of this page as the first stop. This is all the physical materials you can get your hand on, books, research articles, videos, these are all the physical materials that you can look at.

 

Down at the bottom is help on how to do different things, so, how to research theories and theorists, to look up tests and measures, to actually do basic, counseling research.

 

We are going to focus on this stuff on, which is counseling databases. So if we click the drop-down menu, you're going to see a list of databases here. You can always start with the Best Bets and the one I always recommend first two students is PsycINFO, because it has the most counseling journals in full text that you're going to be able to get. To our other databases don't have good information, but PsycINFO is kind of a great place to start.

 

I'm starting to kind of throw around some terms, right? So, research articles, databases, so let's talk a little bit more specifically about what those things are. Because if you use our Ask a Librarian service and email us questions, if you look at your assignments, you're going to see these terms being used a lot. So let's talk a little bit more about what these things actually mean. So now that you're studying either as an undergraduate or graduate student, you're going to be shifting to using more scholarly information.

 

So, scholarly information is basically research articles of some type. They're published in academic journals and they're written by researchers for researchers. So you're not going to find these journals in your dentist office or in the doctor's office. Because the only people that tend to want to read these journals are other researchers that are really, really interested in and excited about those topics and the data and research going on in that field. People in the dentist office don't really want to read that. They want to read fashion magazines.

 

So, what kind of research articles are there? Well, the author might be reporting on original research. So they might have studied a certain population and they're going to give you all the information on how they studied the population and all the data they collected. So it's pretty dense reading. It takes a lot of time to sort through.

 

You might also come across articles that summarize other researchers’ work. We typically call these literature reviews or review articles where they look at other people's research on a certain topic and kind of give you an overview of that topic. So those are the types of things you're going to be using to support your discussions and assignments.

 

Within that is something that we call peer review. A journal is said to be peer-reviewed if, when the article is submitted to the journal, it goes through an extensive review process by other experts. Now, they're not editors, they're not looking for grammar and typos and sentence structure. They're looking for, how did this person conduct the research? Is it legitimate, valid research? How do they report their findings? What are the conclusions they came to? So they're evaluating the whole package. And along with, is it appropriate for this type of journal? So it's a pretty extensive process.

 

So along with scholarly articles and peer-reviewed, all of those can be found in library databases. So essentially, library databases are just searchable collections of journals. So imagine going into that physical library, but everything's just on shelves or in drawers or in a way that you can find it. All a database is going to do is retrieve the information for you. You're going to put in your search criteria and it is going to pop up the result in your results.

 

What's great about databases is you can limit them to peer review, to full text, and by date. So, just some kind of information about those terms as we start using them.

 

So unless we have any questions about what all of that is, how to navigate the library, we're going to go ahead and to a search and see what we can find in the databases. Any questions, Anne, from any students? 

 

>> ANNE  ROJAS:  No, we're still good.

 

>> ANDREA LEMIEUX:  Perfect. On the PowerPoint, there is, I have step-by-step how to go through a search. Once you get the basics down, you can build on that and just know that practice makes perfect. We're not expecting you to know this right out of the gate and that's why we're here is to help guide you through this process and answer questions when you kind of hit a brick wall you're not sure what to do next.

 

So the first thing, as I mentioned before is, we're going to go to the counseling homepage and we’re going to select a counseling database. And PsycINFO is a really great place to start. So we're going to go ahead, we’re on the counseling homepage, we're going to go ahead and select PsycINFO do a search in here.

 

Now, it's good to know what database you're in, so we are in PsycINFO, it's always going to be somewhere at the top. A lot of these search interfaces are going to look the same because the database is sold to us by a company called Ebscohost. We also have another company we work with called ProQuest. So don't get this confused with the database name. Because especially for graduate students, you are at some point going to have to report on which databases you searched, so you're going to need to know the specific name of the database.

 

So let's assume that we have a topic. Our assignment for this week is, we need to find a recent, scholarly article on drug abuse in schools. So the first thing to do is start with the terms that you already have. So we already know that we want to search for drug abuse, so we are going to type drug abuse in the top box. And we’re actually interested in high school students, in particular. So we're going to put that in the second box. And we're also interested in prevention. So, are there preventative programs or what preventative measures are people taking to discourage high school students from using drugs?

 

So, was going to put prevention in the third box. Now, just know that when you search, kind of the first rule of searching in a database is one term per search box. You can put the whole sentence in like a Google because Google search is more natural language. And databases, you just have to take the main ideas and separate them out.

 

Then we're going to scroll down and you will see that full text is already clicked. Great. Our results are only going to be fulltext articles that we can read right away. Then we're going to go ahead and click peer-reviewed, because our assignment asks us for a scholarly article. So almost 100% of the time, scholarly articles mean peer-reviewed. And we're going to go ahead and click search.

 

So we're going to look at the results. Let's stop for a minute and decode what we’re looking for on this page, because again, it can be kind of overwhelming. The first thing to know is at the top, we have 253 results. That's not bad. It's kind of a lot. I would say if you can get your search down to about 100, that's a doable list to browse through. Almost 300 is a bit much.

 

Here on the left side, we are going to see more many options. You can see on the left at the top what was already limited to. You can see there's a delimiter. We can scroll down and maybe limit by language if you wanted to, or age. But I don't really recommend limiting much more in these ways until you become a little more that experienced searcher.

 

Then, I do have to say, remember that the assignment called for a recent article? Well, I forgot to limit my search by date before I started searching. So right here on the left-hand side, it's going to give me the option to do that again. So going to go ahead and click in the first box and I'm going to put 2014 -- about the last five years is generally considered pretty recent.

 

Once I click out of the box, it's going to update my search. So now, I have 56 articles. Great. That's terrific. So let’s actually look at the results list. The first thing that you're going to see is the title of the article. The second line is publication information, so you're going to see authors. You're going to see that it was published in international perspectives in psychology journal. And then, the next line you're going to see is the subject line.

 

Now this is a really great thing to be aware of. That is telling you that this article is primarily about alcohol abuse, drug abuse, high school students, etc. So it's not that they're just mentioning it or that there's a small section about it in the article. It means the entire article’s focus is about those topics.

 

So we can go down and we can look at the rest of the articles and do the same thing. If we were to click on the article title, we are going to see more information about the article and it looks very similar to what we click on the link for the Course Guides, right? So we can read the abstract in this way before we actually read the whole article, we can tell if it's relevant. Then we can click on, over here, the left side, the full text article.

 

Okay. So, let's assume we go through the list, we're looking, we're looking, we read some abstracts, and we only find one or two articles that answer part of the assignment and discussion.  So we need to find a couple more articles to really get our assignment some good support, our discussion post a good support.

 

So, another good strategy is using synonyms, searching by synonyms. So what that means is a researcher might be talking more about addiction than they are drug abuse, or they might be talking about substance abuse. And you can see that in this first subject line. It says alcohol abuse, so they're talking very specifically about that.

 

So in this first line, I'm going to put all the synonyms I can think of. I'm not going to go overboard. I'm going to think of the most common ones. So, drug abuse OR substance abuse OR addiction. I am going to run my search and see what happens.

 

But before I do, let's take a moment and think about what does this of here actually mean? This search is telling the database that the article needs to mention one of these terms. It needs to mention drug abuse OR substance abuse OR addiction. It doesn't have to mention all of them, but it has to have at least one. And, is connecting it with the second search term. It also has dimension high school students. AND, it also has to mention prevention.

 

So think about it, now that we've added more terms, is it going to increase or decrease our search results? So, we clicked search and it actually increased our search results. So that means that a lot of other articles were talking about addiction. We can see that in the first article. They're talking about substance use. So it caught that in the second article. So we're actually capturing more relevant results.

 

Now, remember we talked about the subjects. Let's assume we go through the list and they're not all about high school students. They might talk about middle school students and high school students, but we really just want to kind of focus on high school. Another trick you can use, another search strategy, I should say, is to search terms as a phrase. That means that instead of searching high school and one part of the article and students and another, if I put it in quotation marks which works the same way in Google, it is going to search as "high school students" as a phrase, one word after the other.

 

Now, the dropdown menu, there's all these options of where we can search for this term in the article, itself. Now again, you can experiment with your search, but you're going to use probably a couple of them at the very most. Maybe the title of the article, the abstract, or the subject. I'm going to go ahead and pick this subject line, because I already noticed that high school students is a subject that used in this database. So I want to make sure that my article is primarily about, the focus is on high school students. Okay? So we have 140 results. Let's click search and see, think to yourself, is this going to increase or is this going to decrease the results?

 

Well, look at that. 84 results. So it decreased pretty significantly. So that means that some of the articles were not primarily about high school students. Now you can see in the subject line, all of these are going to say "high school students."

 

Now, there's one more thing I want to show you before we wrap up and talk about a few other things. If you look at this first article, they are using the word preventative work with teenagers. I was looking with anything preventative wise, right? Prevention programs, preventative strategies. But I’m searching for the word prevention. Another way to capture relevant results is to search all forms of that word.  So, to do that, we use the asterisk, which means, you get that on your computer by using the shift button in the 8 on your keyword. That's an asterisk. So what we need to do to search all forms of the word prevention is to take off this ending that's different. So prevents, preventative and prevention all have the word "prevent" in them, right? We are going to present shift 8 and we are going to use the*. So that's going to search multiple forms of the word. So again, we have 84 results. Thing to yourself, should this increase or decrease your results?

 

Okay, great, we're back at 105 results. That means that there were a few of the articles that were using more of the term preventative or prevent. So, we captured a few more relevant results. Now this is actually a really great search. For 100 results, you can quickly scan through the titles. From the title alone, you'll be able to rule a lot of these out. That if something interests you, you can go ahead and click on the title and read the abstract. That should tell you for sure if it's going to be relevant article or not. And from there, you can click on the PDF full text link.

 

Now, I want to talk a little bit more about getting full text before we wrap up. There's a few nuances to that. But before we do, is there any questions about search strategies?

 

>> ANNE ROJAS:  No, we have a really quiet group tonight.

 

>> ANDREA LEMIEUX:  I had a quiet group last night, too. So it's either been a long day or all the pieces are coming together and it sounds brilliant and as soon as we end the webinar, people are going to be going off to try their own searches.

 

All right, let's talk a little more about full text and then we will kind of wrap up and, again, see if there are any remaining questions.

 

You can see that most of these have PDF or HTML full text.  That every once in a while, you will see this button here, Find @ Walden. If I scroll down a little bit, I'm going to find it a few times. What that means is that this article, that this database only has information about the article. It doesn't actually have the full text in this article. Think about when you're in the library, you want to a section, and it just has information about the article. You need to go to a different section of the library to get the full text. So this Find @ Walden means you need to go into another database to get the full text, but it's all linked for you.

 

I just want to explain to you what it is you're looking at when you click on it. You're going to go ahead and click Find @ Walden. And typically, one of two things, well, three things, are likely to happen. The first thing is, it might bring you right to the full text. If it does, brilliant. You don't need to do anything else. The second thing that might happen is it doesn't work. So, it can be a little glitchy, because sometimes the data is inputted properly. If you different things could go on. So if it doesn't work, use the Ask a Librarian function to contact us and we will help you out with that. But often what's going to happen is it’s going to list multiple databases where you can find the full text. Generally, I don't think of come across this, it always has the date range that you need, but you want to just verify that it's the date range of the date when the article was published. And I didn't catch on the other screen, but let's assume that it is. Then you can just click on one of these links and it should bring you to the full text. Click it and then, there's the full text.

 

Now, again, you're going to see that the interface for this database significant different because it's not and EBSCO and it's not a ProQuest database. It's called ScienceDirect. It's Elsevier database. So it's going to look at little different. But you're always going to look for that PDF or HTML link. Sometimes it's not as apparent as we want to be.  It sometimes is at the top of the left.

 

I think that's what all I wanted to talk about for Find @ Walden. So let's go over the PowerPoint slide one more time and we're going to review the steps. So we're going to go to the counseling research homepage. We are going to initially put in the keywords we thought of, one idea or concept per box, so, your main ideas. We are going to limit the search by some basic things, fulltext and peer-reviewed is pretty standard. And, date, if you need it. You don't always have to limit my dates, so keep that in mind. You're going to search and you're going to review the results. Because if you found something you need for your assignment you don't need to go any further. But if you're doing a literature review or a final project, you're probably going to have to refine your search a little bit more. Then you're going to go ahead and experiment with your search. You're going to try some of these different techniques that I showed you. Not all of them work. If you follow the link here this is going to give you some other options on how to experiment, as well.

 

That we talked about getting the full text. Typically you can find, the PDF link or the Find @ Walden link.

 

And then, I just going to cover where to get help if there's no other questions. We still have a quiet group?

 

>>  ANNE ROJAS:  We did have one really good question, though, which was about the open access symbol and what that means?

 

>> ANDREA LEMIEUX:  That is a really great question. I had the same question last night when I did a psychology webinar. So, was it specific to anything?

 

>>  ANNE ROJAS:  No.

 

>> ANDREA LEMIEUX:  Okay. So the open access, I can go back really quick and I can probably find a result. So the student probably noticed, which is really good attention to detail, is that there's a little open access icon here. What that simply means is that there is a trend in scholarly publishing where researchers want to make their information as widely available to people as possible. And, databases, these databases are actually very expensive, because this information isn't freely available online. You can't go to Google Scholar and get most of this information. It's because it's expensive to publish. It's expensive to do the research. So there's sort of this whole monetary system surrounding it. Just know that Walden’s library, your tuition pays for access to this information, and that's one of the reasons you should use it.

 

What open access means is that this particular article is available online for free. But you can also find quite a bit of that information in our databases. What's great about looking for your information using databases is you can control your search in a very nuanced way. You can find the same article and access it for free in Google Scholar. You just don't have the same control over your search. Google Scholar does very simple searches, and they're going to give you thousands of results. Here, with just a little, about 10 minutes worth of work, we get our results down to about 105 relevant articles. So that's what open access means, it just means it's really available online. It’s highly unlikely that this whole journal, International Journal of Environmental and Science Education, is an open journal that's entirely open access. That’s good attention to detail, for sure.

 

>>  ANNE ROJAS:  Thank you.

 

>> ANDREA LEMIEUX:  We're going to cover a few more things, just how to get help. So if you all need to sign off, we're a little bit past the 30 minutes, go ahead. That's great, you can email the PowerPoint. I just want to cover a few things about how to get help. We have Quick Answers, Ask a Librarian, doctoral research appointments and then our webinar archive. So let's go back to the library webpage and look at that.

 

I like to get to Quick Answers in up here in the top right, it says Get Help -- because it's pretty apparent that that's what you where you go to get help right there. There's a couple other ways you can get to it, but I like this avenue best. So if you click on Get Help you can access a few different things on the same page. But at the bottom right is Quick Answers.  So what that is is just a frequently asked a database of frequently asked questions from students and we’ve compile them all in step-by-step instructional information on these topics. So if you forget completely what peer review is, you can't find the PowerPoint and your next assignment that is due tomorrow night says you need to find two peer-reviewed articles, you can ask Quick Answers what is peer-reviewed and it's going to tell you. What is peer-reviewed, how do I my find an article, how do I find a scholarly peer-reviewed article. So, know that that is probably the quickest way to get help.

 

If you go back to this page you can get to our Ask a Librarian service. But you can also get to it to the top right of all of our library webpages. And if you click on there, you can see that you can send an email form to us asking us a question. You can chat with us. So if you're on Eastern time we're actually open for chat for another hour. So if you have a question after the webinar, you can use our chat services to chat with some of our other librarians. You can call us. Just know that if you leave a phone message, we only answer voicemails with email. So you're only going to get an email response. You're not going to get a call back. Then, if you're a graduate student and you want to schedule a one-on-one doctoral research appointment, we can meet one on one to talk more about your research. And that research appointment would be made with me, so you would go to Social and Behavioral Sciences, you will click on Counseling, and you would go ahead and schedule an appointment from there. And you can pick the date and the time and that kind of thing.

 

Then one last thing is that our webinar recordings, again, are under the Get Help button. And you can look at our recorded webinars and any upcoming webinars. So if you go to recorded webinars and you click on counseling, you will see there's more recordings you can look at. So we have advanced research, advanced research webinar, some other graduate-level webinars that are related to graduate work. And of course, we have our library skill, as well. So you can look at information on peer review, how do you find full text and all of those different kinds of things.

 

And last but not least, I work on our library's Twitter account, so you should go and look at our Twitter and see what other search tips and tricks we have on there, what other webinars we have coming up and other fun and goofy stuff that we just post there because we're librarians and we sometimes just like to post fun and goofy stuff, because we don't want to be serious all the time.

 

So that is it. I'm going to see if there's any last questions before we sign off.

 

>>  ANNE ROJAS:  No.

 

>> ANDREA LEMIEUX:  Great. Again you have lots of ways to get help, get in touch with us, so hopefully we will be hearing from you and we will hopefully see you all at another webinar. So, good evening.

 

 

End Transcript

 

Created June 2018 by Walden University Library