1st Paragraph - Introduction
- State how you learned of the position and your interest in the job and the organization.
- Mention what piqued your interest in the particular position.
- Do you know someone who works for the employer? Were you referred by someone well respected? Be sure to mention that person right away!
- Research the organization (i.e., mission statement, values, goals) and demonstrate how you are a good fit.
2nd/3rd Paragraph - Related Experience and Education
- Show the organization what you can do for them rather than telling them what you are seeking.
- State how your skills and background qualify you for this position.
4th Paragraph - Wrap Up/Restate Interest
- Re-emphasize how your background is a match for the position.
- Indicate your enthusiasm for the position and your interest in connecting to further discuss your qualifications.
- End the cover letter with a closing such as “Sincerely” and then sign your name electronically (if hard copy, use black or blue ink).