Skip to main content

New Students: College of Undergraduate Studies

General Program Tips

Do I need to initiate registration for my courses?

Yes. The Undergraduate program requires students to initiate registration each quarter. 

Can I change my specialization or add a second one?

Yes. Please send your advisor an email with the specialization you’re interested in, and we can request a pre-evaluation for you (like the Preliminary Program of Study you received when you were first admitted) to show you what the curriculum would look like (as well as preview whether any Transfer Credit would apply to the new specialization). You can also add a second concentration if you would like, but it may add courses to your overall program requirement and is generally not recommended. 

Who can I talk to about licensing questions related to my program?

All of Walden's undergraduate programs are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). Licensing is typically handled on a state-by-state basis and students interested in licensing should contact their state's authority regarding licensing.

What happens if I fail a course?

If a student fails a course that is required for their program they will be placed on academic warning. Undergraduate students have 3 attempts to try and pass a required course, including the first time students took the course. If you fail the same course 3 times you will face academic dismissal. Discussing your situation with your advisor is extremely important because there may be additional resources available to help you succeed academically. For more information about this policy please visit our Academic Progress section.

Are there any assessments I have to pass before moving forward in my program?

In your first course (HMNT 1001) you will have a Math assessment course. This can help guide you in math courses to select to help prepare you for your required math course, but be sure to schedule an appointment with your advisor to discuss this, as every student is different.

Do I need to purchase my own books?

Students in the undergraduate program are required to purchase their own textbooks. For more information about how to locate the list of books required for your course please view our directions on the book ordering process.

Registration Tips

How do I register for courses?

The first time you self-register for courses it can be very helpful to have a Student Success Advisor walk you through the process. Students can call or schedule an appointment in order to speak with their Student Success Advisor to learn more about the self-registration process. Additionally, Student Success Advising has created a step-by-step guide to assist students with the self-registration process. To access this guide please visit our Registration Directions section. 

My degree audit says a class is “Unavailable” – what does that mean?

Unavailable could have a variety of meanings like the class isn’t open for registration yet or all the sections are full or this course isn’t offered this term. Please email your advisor the course code (ex., ENGL 1010) and the date you’d like to take the course and we can look into it for you.

When should I register for my next set of courses?

Registration is open 60 days prior to the start of the quarter. Early registration is encouraged as it ensures students have ample time to purchase any required courses materials needed prior to the start of the course.

Is there an order in which I should be taking my courses? Can I make any changes to that order?

Most undergraduate students can choose the order in which they take their courses. Typically Student Success Advising encourages students to take 1000- and 2000-level courses first and then move on to 3000- and 4000-level courses, which are more advanced. Provided students meet the prerequisites and the course fits with their program they are able to take most any course. Please contact your Student Success Advisor if you have any questions about a course's fit for your program.

How many courses should I take each quarter?

Walden's undergraduate programs operate on the quarter schedule. Quarters last for 12 weeks with a week-long break between quarters. In a 12-week quarter, students usually complete two six-week courses back-to-back.  Students typically need to take two courses per quarter in order to qualify for financial aid. Students can register for four courses per quarter, but students should discuss the impact of this on their aid award with the Financial Aid department. Financial Aid is available via email ( or phone (at 1-800-WALDENU [925-3368]).

How long are my courses?

Courses are usually six weeks in length. There are a few courses that run for 11 and 12 weeks, but these are the exception to the rule. A good way to check the length of your course is to view the Current Courses or Future Courses section on the Academics tab of your myWalden portal to verify the dates of the course. A quarter is 12 weeks long, so most students take one class for the first six weeks and another class for the second six weeks.